Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Paris, Je T’aime

I’m declaring this week at TMQ's 3 Things Before 40, French Week, as all should experience the pleasure of a little French culture before they turn forty. I’ll try to include les petites trucs on cinema (below), art, museums, and the Parisian scene in the next few days. And my French friends better not laugh at me!
When I saw Un Homme et Une Femme at sixteen, I thought Anouk Aimée was the most beautiful woman in the world and I hoped to one day be as sexy and cool as her. Right. The film's score alone is worth the rental. French cinema has such a mysterious and alluring quality. It’s at once romantic and moody, and hilarious as Jean-Luc Godard’s après-sex scenes smoking cigarettes in bed.
This is just part of the reason why I am so excited for the new film Paris, Je T’aime. The original tagline was Stories of Love from the City of Love, and now it is One City. 10 Million Hearts. One Love Story. One Film. Each contributing filmmaker was given the task of making a five-minute short set in a Paris arrondissement that reflects the spirit of the neighborhood, the city, and the nature of love itself. Piece of cake, right? Many of the directors were American, like Alexander Payne, Wes Craven, Gus Van Sant, and Ethan Coen, and thus not very familiar with Paris or French culture. Even if the film is a total flop, it’s a great excuse to watch the beautiful people (Natalie Portman, Maggie Gyllenhaal) move through every neigborhood in the City of Light… and love.
Last year, Kim and I saw an incredibly moving documentary called Ballet Russes at the Balboa. I am eager to watch a similar film which should prove just as promising, Gaîté Parisienne. It stars Alexandra Danilova and her partner in life and dance, Frederic Franklin (who was also interviewed in Ballet Russes). I love that film historians and directors are preserving these great dance performances for future generations to enjoy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 40 things to do before 40, but here are my favourite 3!
(See the rest at http://www.before40.co.uk)

1. - Grow A Beard
2. - Give Colonic Irrigation A Go
3. - Drive A Porsche 911 Sportscar (Modern, Not Vintage!)

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?