Monday, April 10, 2006

Love is a Battlefield for Winkie Rose

We were joined by an amusing assortment of little old ladies on the second- octogenarian- row at Capitola Book Cafe last Tuesday night. Winkie Rose was their unappointed spokesperson and boy did she have a lot to say! The panel discussion was really more of a conversation, but we felt lucky for the words of wisdom imparted. Contributors reading included Kim Askew, Meghan Daum, Erin Ergenbright, and Heather Juergensen. As we were a smaller group than the previous night, the contributors had an opportunity to read a bit more from their pieces. The audience was enthusiastic and supportive. During the quick Q&A session, Winkie chimed in quite a few times with experience from beyond her thirties. One audience member asked where we thought we would be at 50. Heather said she'd like to continue increasing her body of work and just continue making more movies. Kim said she'd like to keep traveling more-- maybe visit a pyramid. Heather also spoke of "getting out of her own way" and truly enjoying living in the moment. When she said we're all swimming in this "soup" or life, I was reminded of her use of the word "marinate" in Kissing Jessica Stein. Erin talked of finally feeling comfortable in her own skin. I think Meghan also appreciated Winkie's bravado and laughed along with the rest of us. Janet Leimeister the event coordinator was very thoughtful and full of questions during any lull in the conversation. I was touched that she liked the epigraphs included in the book. We made a point afterwards of showing Winkie Kim's epigraph by Lana Turner.

After the reading, I had a chance to ask Heather what she's working on now. She's in the throes of creating a film about a midwestern women's sports team in the 60's and how beauty was made overly important to them in their lives. She'll play their hairdresser in a bouffant coiffure and heavy make-up. I believe she said her husband is directing the film.

Once we finally extricated ourselves from the spunky Ms. Rose's conversation on her Democratic Club and thoughts of suicide in her forties, Meghan and Heather hit the road for LA. Then Erin, Kim, Kim's sis- Chris, and I headed over to nearby Castaways sports bar for snooker, Dominos pizza, and torch songs on the jukebox. Oh the tunes did they bring me back. Kim chose Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benatar, The Cure's A Letter to Elise, and Eminem's Cleaning out my Closet. Chris picked a song by Foreigner and Erin chose one from Jane's Addiction. They played Love Song for me. It felt a bit like a night out with the girls and it was exactly what I needed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bridgette said...

I met this same winkie rose a few days ago while stopping in santa cruz on a road trip. I googled her to see if anyone else had an encounter with her and wrote about. I realize this is quite an old post, but I thought i'd comment anyway.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Bridgette said...

She was truly quite the character! Spunky and full of life.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Worthington said...

I’m looking for Winkie Rose myself! Have you had any luck finding her? I was reading an article today in The Independent about connecting with people—especially the older among us—who could be lonely during the Holidays after having lost so many friends and loved ones. I thought of Winkie. I looked up her number to call her, but Her phone is no longer in service… She always did her best to stay involved, stay productive—stay engaged and useful and connected. That must be challenging in a world that keeps growing younger than you who have their own sets of friends of their own age group. And people of your own age group aren’t interested or engaged in the way you are. I imagine that would be very lonely for us.

I’d love to talk to Winkie again and wish her a Merry’ Christmas. If you know her, please call or text me: 831-345-2041 and my name is Tiffany Worthington. I was a friend of her’s some years ago. We lost touch. Thank you so much! No matter the news, thank you so much in advance…
Tiffany
831-345-2041
Whole Body Peace Massage Therapy

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?