Friday, September 08, 2006

Heather Chaplin’s 3 Things


MQ Heather Chaplin and her hubby Aaron Ruby coauthored a highly praised book on the videogame industry entitled Smart Bomb: The Quest for Art, Entertainment, and Big Bucks in the Videogame Revolution. Read an excerpt from NPR. Smart Bomb will be available in paperback in November. Heather has worked as a journalist for many years and likes to pose tough yet thoughtful questions not only to her subjects, but to herself.

Three things I want to do before I'm 40:
This seems an impossibly hard question! What initially comes to mind is, Figure my life out? But that's not really an answer, is it. So, I guess I would say:

1. I want to find a way to become politically active in a genuinely effective way. I am deeply, deeply concerned about the current state of affairs on a geopolitical and socioeconomic level, and I am not sure how to actually create change - change that is in a direction against increasing discrepancy of wealth between the world's richest and poorest people, and all that that implies in their lives, and against the destruction of the planet. At this point, I have almost no idea how to do this. So that's weighing heavily on me and is on my agenda.

2. I want to move into this next phase of my life - and it does feel like I'm moving into a new personal era right about now - making decisions based more on what I want and less on what I think others need from me.

3. I hope that I will have written something better than I've yet to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?