Friday, September 15, 2006

Serve It Forth

Consider The Oyster, Serve It Forth, The Gastronomical Me, How To Cook A Wolf. These were just a few of the whimsical titles of Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher's genius works. Many have said she was the greatest American writer of her time. Although I think that's quite a compliment, it's one whose boots I think she could have more than adequately filled.

On a glorious spring morning four years ago, my hubby and I trekked through the Bouverie Audubon Preserve in search of MFK's last residence. She had a small cottage on the grounds that I tried to spy over the fields of wildflowers as it's not open to the public. We did manage to hike to the lovely waterfall where her ashes were scattered. The canyon ranch in Sonoma is an enchanting spot- especially in the spring.

MFK Fisher forever changed the landscape of culinary writing. There are many great food writers today- such as Nigella Lawson and Ruth Reichl- but they're really no match for her supreme talent. She was a masterful storyteller who somehow turned eating into a divine art form. TMQ contributor Ashley Warlick is at work on a book about MFK Fisher and I'm breathless with anticipation. Mary Frances once said, When I write of hunger, I am really writing about love and the hunger for it, and warmth and the love of it and it is all one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?